Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pinewood Derby

I have been meaning to post pictures from the Pinewood Derby that was a few weeks ago, but it seems like every time I sit down to do it something else needs to be done. Garrett has been involved with the Cub Scout program in our area since his birthday and loves participating in scouts. For the January pack meeting they had a Pinewood Derby. About a month before every boy is given a little kit with a block of pine, four wheels and four nails.Chad and Garrett spent a lot of time working together designing the body of the car, choosing the paint color and making it look really good. The night of the race all of the boys had their cars there and I do think Garrett's car was the coolest, too bad it was the slowest. They race the cars four at a time and let each boy race four separate times, and then add up the times from all the races and the car with the shortest time wins. Garrett's car was the slowest by a long shot. Something with the axle was not allowing one of the wheels to spin. I felt so bad for Garrett and I kept watching him to see if he was discouraged. Luckily he was a really good sport about the whole thing. He ended up with the "Good Sportsman" award. What a great little guy. Hopefully he'll have better luck next time.

1 comment:

Leslie Kay said...

I can't believe he's old enough for pinewood derby.