Sunday, June 28, 2009

10 Miles...No tunes

Yesterday was my first 10 mile run of the summer and I was really excited! Typically the night before a big run I lay everything out for the next morning and make sure that I have everything ready to go. There are a few elements that make a long run...good shoes, water, gum, GPS watch and my iPod. I had all of those things when I set out on Saturday morning. I was ready to go. About a mile into the run I decided that I needed some music so I pressed play on my iPod and nothing..I checked that the power was turned on and still nothing...so I started messing with my earphones and found that they had a short in the cord and that they were not going to work. Now the thought of running the next 9 miles with no music made me a little uneasy, I have always had my music on while I run and it motivates me to keep going. So I took a deep breath and dug in, I had to, my friend was counting on me to run these 10 miles with her.

You know there are a lot of things that you miss while the music is blasting in your ears. The birds were singing, the sun was just coming up over the mountains and I was taking it all in. There is something about running that allows you to clear your mind and think things through. We ran those 10 miles and even ran the big hill twice. All things considered it was a great run. So even though I will continue to run with my iPod and the new earphones my sweet husband gave me, I was pleased to find out that I can run without it.

3 comments:

Lara said...

You are awesome! I like how you said, "my FIRST 10 mile run..." Yes, we do have more to come. Hopefully they will be easier than the 3 this morning:)

Erica said...

Good for you. I need some of that "motivating" music as well! I'm glad you enjoyed a run without.

KALIE said...

Well at least you didn't lose your house key. I hear that's quite a pain in the butt. Your so amazing for going 10 miles without music and for going 10 miles in the first place. I'm striving to be like you!