Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Every Little Boys Dream

Yesterday I got the chance to accompany Garrett's class on their first field trip of the year. We walked from the school just over a mile to our local fire station. It was a fun walk with three little second grade boys in my group. The firemen showed the kids a fire safety video and then let them see all of the equipment in the fire engine. It was funny to watch these little boys and how interested they were with how everything worked. At one point I turned to the fire captain who was standing near me and said "This is every little boys dream" and he said "This is every BIG boys dream."

On the way back to the school Garrett and I were talking about what we would do if there was a fire at our house. So for family night last night we decided to go over our emergency plan. The kids had all sorts of "what if..." questions. What if daddy is at work? What if I don't hear the smoke detector? What if I can't open my window? What if Cleo (the family cat) doesn't get out? They were full of questions, but we had fun and I think we all learned something.

1 comment:

J.J. said...

I wish I went, but I'm going to have to pass on the walking does not work well with me while being pregnant. When Ashlyn came home that day that's all she talk about was fires and seemed a bit worried. I think it's great you did a FHE night on fire safety, I'm sure your kids feel prepared if there was ever anything to happen. I'm glad you had fun on the field trip.