Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day of Progress

Kelsey continues to amaze the doctors and all of us. She has been weaned down on the oxygen support through her nose. She is now mostly breathing on her own and all of her stats are where they are supposed to be. She has had three of her IV lines taken out over the past few days and now is just down to two. They had a speech pathologist come today and determined that she was strong enough to swallow and therefore strong enough to start eating. She has had some Gatorade and a Popsicle today. I think she liked having some flavor in her mouth. She got a sponge bath today and got her hair washed. She even got to get out of her bed for a minute to sit in the rocking chair. My mom was here at that time and put some braids in her clean hair.

Each day there are different doctors and nurses that come by her room just to tell us what a miracle she is. They just smile and shake their heads, they can't explain it. We know that it is through the power of prayer and faith that she has been able to progress. She will probably be moved from the ICU tomorrow and into the regular medical wing to continue the recovery process. We see good changes everyday and we know in time she will be healthy and strong.

I am sitting with Kelsey at the hospital as I write this update tonight. Thank goodness for wireless internet.

8 comments:

Leslie Kay said...

Thank you for all your sharing. Faith promoting stories are everywhere because of you and Kelsey. We will continue to pray for you and think of you and your family continually. As always and still and even later on - please know you can ask for anything.

Unknown said...

Amanda, It sounds like there are more things about that Roller Coaster that are getting better. I am so happy for you, Chad and your family.

Lara said...

Yipee! I am glad that things are still improving! Can't wait until Kelsey gets to come home:)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that she is making such great improvements. Thanks for keeping us posted.
I am sure you know, but they released you today and put in Denise C. in primary. They also put Kathy A. in nursery and released Carolyn. THey put Carolyn in the Relief Society as a secretary. Thought you might want to know.

Denise said...

Amazing progress! There's nothin' better than a bath and clean hair for a girl!! I'm so excited for the day that Kelsey will come home. We're all anxiously awaiting her arrival!Thanks, Josy for updating Amanda. I wasn't there, but glad I didn't get any "opposed". lol. Amanda, your shoes will be hard to fill, though. For now, it's good that you can be at the hospital for Kelsey - your presence at her bedside is surely to make all the difference for her!

J.J. said...

It sounds like Kelsey is improving everyday, such good news.
Fun for her grandma to put braids in her clean hair.
We miss you Kelsey!

Sam and Josh said...

I am so happy to hear the things are improving and she is getting better. I hope she is able to come home soon.

KALIE said...

I love hearing all this good news. What a strong brave girl you have. I can't wait to see her again. I know you're all so relieved to have her being Kelsey again. We're happy for you guys!