Thursday, July 9, 2009

One Week

One week ago today I experienced the worst day of my life. Having a child that is so sick and not being able to do anything about it has to be one of the worst feelings in the world. We all love our children and would do anything we could for them, and when that isn't even an option it tears your heart out. This past week has been something that I never thought that I would have to face and I know that I haven't faced it alone. It is by the prayers and faith and support of many that we are being carried through this.

Today was a good day for Kelsey she is continuing to fight and she is amazing a lot of the doctors that have been working with her. Today she was able to come off of the ventilator. That means that her lungs are doing most of the work on their own. I think this was a good day for her too because it meant that she was able to talk. I could tell that yesterday she was trying to talk to me but the breathing tube was in the way. She is still on some pretty heavy pain medication so that makes her pretty loopy and therefore makes our conversations very interesting. She gets irritated pretty easy when there is to much going on in the room so I am trying to help keep it calm for her as much as I can. I have told her that her job now is to rest and let her body heal. She is still in the ICU and will be for at least a few more days.

Thank you for all of your prayers. We have a long road ahead to get her healthy and strong again but I know that it will happen. I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

Erica said...

We are so OVERJOYED with today's news. I can't believe where you were at just a short week ago.

We're so proud of Kelsey and her will to fight. I can't wait until she is home again.

I can't imagine what you and Chad have gone through. I admire you both so much. You've continued to stay so strong. Good luck with the road ahead and send those kids over ANY TIME!! Love you!!

Mom22Paynes said...

Absolutely wonderful news!!! Keep fighting, Kelsey!

cam said...

I was breathless reading this. Amanda, I cannot be happier for all you. I hope this isn't crossing any lines but when it comes to someone as deep and spiritually inside of me like Kelsey, as another one of my daughters, I have had no choice but to write a song for her as if sang through her eyes.. I didn't feel as I'm writing as much as bleeding it..like her health this song is about the journey for it may take a while as well.

Amanda know you are one of my favorite heroes, if not my fav. For now at a time where you should be drawing off of our love, support and strength, we all seem to be drawing off yours You are truly an inspiration to me. We love you all Coxes...our prayers never cease..I feel a closeness to her now, in the depths of my soul. There is nothing I would not to do for any one of you, if you need dinner brought in let me know. Are you having dinner brought in for tomorrow? either at the hospital or for the kids at home, or do a load of laundry or something.

Thank you all for being such anchors and examples to me, to all of us. With love greater than can be expressed in words,

Cam

cam said...

Sorry forgot to thank you for the update..you have many other things you could do and I appreciate you taking the time for all of us to share on her progress. We all really appreciate. Name of Kelsey's song "The Day I Wake,' hope that's okay. Also is it possible to post a video here of her--I loved it you get to hear her angelic laughter throughout. I adored it and would love to share it if possible.

My love and prayers
Cam

Sara said...

Being a mom too I can't imagime the stress and emotions you must be going through.I am SOOOO gald to hear she is getting stronger!

J.J. said...

I remember the day that I heard what was going on with Kelsey, I felt sick and so worried for Kelsey, you, and the family. For days I was constantly thinking of her and praying that she could get through this, I couldn't even sleep at night, but just yesterday that worry has left me. I am so glad to hear that she is improving, it is always good to hear good news.
I can't wait to see Kelsey's beautiful smiling face, we all miss her soooooo much!
Thank you for sharing about kelsey, and also your thoughts and feelings. Love you

Amy said...

Oh, I am so happy! My kids have been praying for Kelsey in their prayers as well. These little spirits are stronger than we know! That Kelsey is such a fighter!

Denise said...

Our family is so happy to hear of Kelsey's progress. The kids ask about her every day! I cry when I think about the helplessness that you must have been facing and yet how strong you have been. Your family is so loved and our prayers continue to include you. We look forward to the day when Kelsey and her friends can spin around the neighborhood in her little golf cart again, grinning all the way! Our love to you all!

Sam and Josh said...

That is such great news. We are so happy to hear she is improving. Keep up the faith and keep fighting Kelsey. Amanda you are amazing along with your family. Our prayers are with you.