Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What a difference a day makes...

Today has been a good day. The Young Women in our ward left for camp this morning and I got the opportunity to go and speak with them before they left. These girls have been amazing. Within hours of Kelsey being hospitalized they organized a fast and have been praying for Kelsey ever since. I felt strongly that they needed to hear from me how much I appreciated them and update them on Kelsey's progress. The spirit in the room was so strong I hope that they could feel it. God lives and I know that he answers prayers and I know that he is mindful of each one of us and our needs.

Yesterday they had taken Kelsey off of the medicine that was causing her to be paralyzed. They were watching to see if they could get any response from her muscles. As of last night at 11:oo pm they hadn't seen any movements. Before I left to go down to the church this morning I called the hospital to get an update from the nurses. Things had progressed significantly. She had moved her hands and feet and made attempts to open her eyes and was responding to verbal requests. This was very encouraging news for us.

When I arrived at the hospital around 11:oo am the nurses told me that she was doing well and that she was doing most of the work on her own. They had eased up on the support from the ECMO (heart/lung) machine and she was remaining stable. The doctor had decided that she was ready to be off of the ECMO machine. So around 2 o'clock this afternoon she was taken off of the support that she had been receiving. The initial thought was that she would be on ECMO for 5-10 days maybe even longer. So the fact that it was only 5 days is very good news. She is still on the ventilator and will be until her lungs are ready to work on their own. But for now we are very encouraged with the progress she is making. She squeezed my hand today and opened her eyes wide enough for me to see their beautiful blue color.

We know that the Lord hears and answers prayers and we cannot thank you enough for all of the prayers that are being offered for her. She is still fighting and we will take one day at a time but I am so grateful for days like this that send glimpses of hope to keep going.

17 comments:

Erica said...

Such wonderful news! Today was a great day. Thank you for letting me come hang out with Garrett, Lauren and Caleb. We had a good time and I'm lucky I had Jesse as well. Him and Caleb did EVERYTHING together. So much fun.

Thank you for all the updates. I am anxiously awaiting the next set of good news. I hope you and Chad are holding up okay. I admire your strength. Best wishes and know we are still praying for a full recovery. Love you!!!

Angel said...

i am soooooo grateful for this news....... it is an answer to sooooo many people's prayers...... i am especially grateful for your updates... it makes me look forward to the next day and i love all of kelsey's pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are my favorite.... i lovee her soooo much and misses her immensily and can't wait until we make up more dances. i love you cox clan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.J. said...

Wow, what an amazing day I am so glad Kelsey is doing so well and responding, I bet that just really made your day when kelsey squeezed your hand and you were able to see her beautiful blue eyes. Sooooo good to hear her progress, and doing so well.
I'm sure the spirit was very stong when you talk to the young women, you have always carried such a sweet spirit, and a gift for words. I wish I was there!
Way to fight Kelsey, we love you!

Wood Family said...

We are so encouraged by the great news! We will continue to pray for a full recovery!
Love,
the Woods

Amy said...

What wonderful news! I am so glad that she is doing better! I think about Kelsey ALL day long and have told other people about what she is going through. Please know that others, that may not know her, are praying for her as well. I am fasting for her quick recovery and for comfort for you and Chad and your family. So grateful for your updates! Love your guts!

Denise said...

Chad and Amanda,
Great news! This is a real testimony builder for all who have been praying for her recovery. The Lord works in miraculous ways! I'm loving all of these darling pictures of Kelsey, too. She is beautiful girl with an even more beautiful spirit about her. We are continuing to pray for your family. Love to you all!

Kellie said...

Oh wow.... what wonderful news. I KNOW all the prayers have helped, and we all love Kelsey so much! I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief for you. I know she still has a long road ahead, but she is moving forward!! Give her on a gentle smooch and squeeze from me. The sun is shining even brighter now, reading your update has made my day!

Sam and Josh said...

I am so happy to hear she is doing better. What a challenge this must be for all of you, but we want you know we are praying for you and your family and continue to wish you the very best. She is a beautiful girl with so much to live for. and we wish her a fast recovery.

Mom22Paynes said...

"Abide with me 'tis eventide"-- when I think of Kelsey this song goes through my head. When I had some health problems a few years ago, this song got me through it all and I would think of the lyrics over and over.... "O Savior stay this night with me, Behold 'tis eventide". I am so glad to hear of her progression, and we will continue to pray for continued miracles.

Love, Rach

Ciara said...

Erica told me about Kelsey on Sunday, I'm so glad that you have had updates of how she is doing. What a great news to hear that she is doing better my hopes and prayers are with her and your family!! She is an adorable girl with great self portraits!

Tressa said...

That is great news. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to keep this updated for us to all check in on you and your family. :)

Michelle said...

We are very excited to hear the good news it just proves that she is a fighter physically and spiritually. The pictures of Kelsey are so cute you can see the light that is within her.

melanie liljenquist said...

Amanda,
I am so sorry to hear about Kelsey. I guess you ran into my dad today and He called me and told me about Kelsey, my heart sunk. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Kelsey is such a sweet girl and I have always thought the world of her since I first new her. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Love Ya
Melanie

Anonymous said...

We are so grateful!!! I can't even have imagined what it must have been like for your family the last few days. We will continue to pray for Kelsey daily. Let me know if you need me to take the kids for a day. Love you!

Natalie said...

What fabulous news! It brings so much hope. Thank you for keeping us updated. We continue to pray for Kelsey and your family. And praying for more great days like today!

Leslie Kay said...

I left you a bag with dinner - tried to fill it with some things to keep you occupied at the hospital the next little while. I put in some of my favorite snacks for ya to try. If you end up stuck at the hospital without a car of need a ride up to meet Chad or whatever - please call. This happened to Reese and I a couple of times. If you get bored or just need some company I can play a mean game of scrabble with you and would love to help in anyway. We love you guys and continue to pray for ya!

Jerry and Lyn said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony and for the updates. Our Heavenly Father is mindful of all of us, He has a hand in our lives and he loves us. We are handed trials to help us grow. I have seen our ward grow closer and am witnessing all of us grow closer to Christ in faith as we humbly pray for Kelsey and others in our ward. Our prayers are with your family and Kelsy. Her progress is so encouraging. Thanks again for the updates.