Monday, August 18, 2008

13.1

A little over 12 weeks ago a good friend of mine called and was telling me that she wanted to do a half marathon. I was listening to her talk all about it and I was thinking that I was so impressed that she was going to take on that challenge. Then she proceeds to tell me that she wants me to do it with her. What?! First off I am not a runner. Up until that point the longest distance that I had ever run was just over 3 miles and I thought that I was going to die! I tried to give her every excuse in the book as to why I couldn't do a half marathon so we left it at "I'll think about it." About an hour later one of her cute little boys knocked on my door and hands me a paper, "My mom wants me to give this to you." he said. A training schedule for the next 10 weeks was in my hands and from there I guess the rest is history. We have had some ups and downs over these past weeks, but last weekend August 9th we did it. We ran the Provo River Half Marathon and I lived to tell you about it. It turned out to be one of the best experiences. Setting the goal and taking the steps to achieve that goal was amazing for me. Race day was a mix of nerves and butterflies. Knowing that the people that I love most in this world would be waiting at the finish line kept me pushing forward. Thanks Babe, Kids, Mom and Dad for your love and support, and thank you Lara for the challenge and for a summer that I will never forget. The only problem now is I think that I have caught a bug, the "running bug"!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amanda.. Now all you need to do is talk chad into getting you a road bike so you can come and ride with me. Just think if you can run a half marathon you can totally ride a century with me. It is a completely different rush.
Miss ya Love ya
Cass

Kristin said...

WOW!! I am so impressed! You make it sound easy! Way to go!

Marinda said...

You're awesome!!! Way to go.

Emily said...

Way to go! I think it is great that you were able to do that. You continue to inspire and impress me. Love you!